<bgsound src="MIDIS/maryanne.mid">

Kamouraska History
Histoire du Kamouraska


Kamouraska

This information listed on this page
pertains to some of my Ancestors

  • DUMAIS

    Pierre Dumais dit Rossignol was the son of Jean and Marguerite Richard, from Auvergne. Pierre came to the Kamouraska region to marry Anne Chamberland in the Saint-Louis church, on April 26th 1745. Anne was the daughter of Simon and Thérèse Ouimet. Three children were born in this marriage, but Anne died and was buried in the parish cemetery on April 14th 1755. On August 25th of the same year, Pierre married again to Catherine Michaud, daughter of Jean and Cécile Ouellet. Five other children were born in this second marriage.

    Three sons of the ancestor Pierre, named Vincent, Louis and Pierre, ensured the following of seven generations in the Saint-Louis parish.

  • GUERÊT dit DUMONT

    This family set up in Kamouraska for six generations and they descend from Jacques Guérêt dit Dumont, born on March 8th 1665, in Normandy. Jacques was the son of René Guerey and Madeleine Vigoreaux. Arriving in New France in 1690, he married with Jacques Tardif's daughter, Anne, on April 18th 1674. Triplets were born on October 6th 1708 : Catherine, Michel and Joseph-Simon.

    In 1711, the Dumont family moved in Gaspésie but they returned to Beauport in 1713. They also lived in Rivière-du-Loup, L'Isle-Verte and, finally, in Kamouraska, where Jacques was buried on April 15th 1739. Anne Tardif was buried on February 18th 1752.

    Between Jean's children who lived in Kamouraska, there are his seven sons : Jean, Simon, Jacques, Jean-Baptiste, Michel, Pierre and Prisque, who all got married in Saint-Louis of Kamouraska.


  • LAVOIE

    Augustin Lavoie, son of Joseph, son of René got married on January 28th 1729, with Marguerite Michaud, daughter of Jean Michaud and Françoise Dupille. Later, he set up in Kamouraska, and after, in the Bras-Saint-Nicolas. His children were christened in Rivière-Ouelle and in La Pocatière, and five of his sons got married in the Saint-Louis of Kamouraska church, where Augustin was buried on October 16th 1770.

    Between the eight generations of Lavoie who lived in Kamouraska, Madeleine Lavoie, wife of François Thibault, was buried under the church floor on March 15th 1839.

    The ancestor René de Lavoye, son of René de Lavoye and Isabeau Bellenger, from Normandy, was married on April 14th 1656, in the Sainte-Anne chapel on the Beaupré Coast, with Anne Godin, daughter of Elie Godin and Esther Ramage. He lived in Sainte-Anne, where he was buried about 1699. His son Jean lived in Rivière-Ouelle, but Joseph, the father of Augustin, stayed on the Beaupré Coast.


  • LE BLANC

    Louis-Joseph Le Blanc, son of Désiré Le Blanc and Victoire Comeau, was the first member of this family in Saint-Louis of Kamouraska. On July 22nd 1835, Joseph was married with Edith-Estelle Raymond, daughter of Régis Raymond and Rose Miville-Deschènes. His daughter, Aglaé, and his two sons, Narcisse and Régis, were married in Kamouraska. Five generations of Le Blanc lived in Kamouraska.

    Régis Le Blanc married Clara Chouinard, in the Saint-Louis church, on November 27th 1860. They had eleven children. Clara was buried in the parish cemetery on April 20th 1917, and Régis was buried on April 26th 1929.

    (My family descends from Daniel LeBlanc) - The ancestor Daniel Le Blanc, born in 1626 his origins are unknown. Married in France with Françoise Gaudet. She was the widow of an Unknown Mercier she had married in France. Daniel set up on the North Coast of the Port-Royal River, and died between 1693 and 1698. Françoise Gaudet, born in 1623, died in her son Pierre's house, between 1698 and 1700.


  • LEVESQUE

    Jean Lévesque was the first of his family to set up in Kamouraska. Married with Angélique Pelletier, daughter of Jean-François Pelletier and Madeleine DeLavoye, on April 27th 1739, he left Rivière-Ouelle on this date. All his children were christened in Saint-Louis. Later, at the beginning of the 19th century, Athanase and Prosper set up in Kamouraska. Eight generations followed one another in Kamouraska, where this family still lives.

    (My ancestor) The ancestor Robert Lévesque, christened in 1641, was the son of Pierre Lévesque and Marie Caumont from Normandy. Since his marriage, in the L'Ange-Gardien Church, on April 22nd 1679, with Jeanne Chevalier who was a King's Daughter. She was the daughter of Jacques Chevalier and Marguerite Scorban or Scorinan, from Normandy. In 1785 Robert settled in l'Islet, and then in Rivière-Ouelle.

    Jean Narcisse still has descendants today. He is the only one who had descendants in Saint-Louis after his marriage with Thècle Lavoie, on November 20th 1826.


  • MARQUIS

    Charles-François Marquis set up in the Portage. Married with Anne Boucher, daughter of Pierre Galeran and Anne Michaud, Charles-François had nine children. His sons Joseph and François always lived in the Portage. Married with the two sisters, Françoise and Agnès Côté, daughters of Prisque Côté and Ursule Bernier, Joseph and François christened, married and buried their children in Saint-Louis parish, Kamouraska.

    The ancestor Charles Le Marquis, from Quebec, was the son of Charles Le Marquis and Jeanne Bignon, from Mortagne-Poitou.


  • RAYMOND PHOCAS

    (My ancestor) Romain Phocas, son of Renaud Phocas and Catherine Daguspart, from Gascogne, was the ancestor of the Raymond families of the Kamouraska region. Romain got married on January 21st 1709 with Angélique Ouellet, daughter of Mathurin-René Ouellet and Angélique Lebel from Saint-Louis. They were married in the church of Notre-Dame-de-Liesse in Rivière-Ouelle and they settled in Cap-au-Diable in 1709. Romain was married for the second time with Thérèse Saint-Pierre, daughter of Pierre Saint-Pierre and Marie Gerbert, about 1725. Romain was buried in the Berceau cemetery on January 9th 1762. Eight generations of this family lived in Kamouraska and still live there.



  • Histoire Du Kamouraska

    Les premiers européens au Kamouraska


    Québec existe depuis 1608. Petit à petit,on explore le
    territoire autour, on défriche pour la culture. Bref, on occupe de plus en plus le pays. Ce pays, c'est d'abord les rives du fleuve, seule voie possible de communication. Alors, l'intendant de la colonie (représentant du roi de France) distribue des "seigneuries" à des "seigneurs" qui à leur tour distribuent des terres à des colons, le long du fleuve. C'est ainsi qu'entre 1672 et 1714 arrivent les premiers habitants qui vont bâtir le pays de Kamouraska! Leurs chaloupes, leurs canots s'échouent sur la plage, un paysage merveilleux s'offre à leurs regards; les îles, les immenses rivages où pousse le jonc, les montagnes de pierre blanche, de grands terrains parsemés de poiriers et de cerisiers sauvages et la forêt tout au fond, prometteuse de gibier...


    Année :
    Seigneurie :
    Premier Seigneur :
    1672 La Pocatière Marie-Anne Juchereau
    1672 Rivière-Ouelle Jean-Baptiste-François Deschamps
    1672 Islet-du-Portage
    (Saint-André)
    Pierre Bécard
    1674 Kamouraska Olivier Morel
    1679 Saint-Denis Joseph Juchereau (frère de Marie-Anne)

    Lorsqu'une seigneurie était concédée, il n'était pas du tout certain qu'elle serait "habitée" rapidement! Tout dépendait du seigneur qui décidait ou non de s'occuper de sa eigneurie. Il peut donc y avoir beaucoup d'écart entre le moment où la seigneurie est concédée et le moment où y arrivent les premiers colons. Et ces premiers colons sont les vrais bâtisseurs du pays. De même, l'érection canonique des paroisses ou, si vous voulez, leur fondation officielle se fait beaucoup plus tard. Comparons avec les dates de concessions de seigneuries:


    Seigneurie :
    Premiers colons :
    Paroisse :
    La Pocatière 1676 1715
    Rivière-Ouelle 1674 1685
    Islet-du-Portage 1714 1791
    Kamouraska 1694 1714
    Saint-Denis Début du 18e siècle 1833

    Ces premiers colons, ce sont des Lizotte, des Pelletier, des Ouellet, des Grondin, des Saint-Laurent, des Bérubé, des Morin, des Paradis, des Dubé, des Bouchard, des Michaud, des Fournier, Desjardins, Asselin, Martin,Vaillancourt...Des noms qui sont encore bien présents dans Kamouraska!

    Ce qui les attire, ce sont les grandes terres cultivables, le fleuve qui est tout près pour voyager et pour pêcher, le
    gibier abondant qui fournira nourriture et... fourrures! Alors on s'installe : on défriche pour cultiver, les premiersarbres abattus servent à construire la premièremaison. Comme on n'a pu amener beaucoup d'animaux domestiques et que les terres prendront du temps à bien nourrir les gens, la pêche et la chasse deviennent des activités importantes de survie. Et puis le profit rapporté par le commerce des fourrures n'est pas à dédaigner non plus!

    Il n'y avait pas de village à l'époque. Ils viendront beaucoup plus tard. Il n'y avait pas non plus de métiers spécialisés : tout le monde était cultivateur. Mais on s'échangeait les habiletés de chacun et chacune: ferre mon
    cheval et je répare ton fusil!

    Ils vécurent heureux et eurent de nombreux enfants...

    Tout ceci se passait donc aux tout débuts de l'histoire de Kamouraska ! Et ces débuts se concentraient, comme on l'a vu, sur le territoire des premières seigneuries. Pour avoir une idée d'ensemble du développement du Kamouraska, il pourrait être intéressant maintenant de jeter un coup d'œil sur les années de fondation des seize (16) paroisses qu'on y retrouve.


    Année :
    Paroisse :
    1685 Rivière-Ouelle
    1714 Saint-Louis (Kamouraska)
    1715 Sainte-Anne-de-La-Pocatière
    1791 Saint-André
    1827 Saint-Pascal
    1833 Saint-Denis
    1846 Sainte-Hélène
    1851 Saint-Alexandre
    1851 Saint-Pacôme
    1858 Saint-Onésime d'Ixworth
    1867 Notre-Dame-du-Mont-Carmel
    1871 Saint-Philippe-de-Néri
    1893 Saint-Bruno (Woodbridge)
    1893 Saint-Germain
    1922 Saint-Joseph
    1938 Saint-Gabriel Lallemant

    © Lucie LeBlanc Consentino
    Acadian & French Canadian Ancestral Home
    1998 - Present



    Please Navigate This Site
    Using The Sidebar To The Left.
    If You Do Not See A Sidebar Click Here