One of the oldest settlements in Canada, Trois-Rivières was established in 1634 by the French under the direction of the explorer Samuel de Champlain, at a site previously occupied by an Algonquian stockade. It grew as a port and fur-trading center during the 19th century and was incorporated in 1857.
Trois-Rivières (Three Rivers), city in Saint-Maurice County, southern Québec province, Canada, at the confluence of the Saint-Maurice and Saint Lawrence rivers. It is a deepwater port and an industrial center, producing great quantities of
paper, especially newsprint. Other products include electrical and electronic equipment, metal items, textiles, clothing, printed materials, and processed food.
In the city are the University of Québec at Trois-Rivières (1969), Marie-de-l'Incarnation College (1697), Saint Joseph
Seminary (1663), and a junior college. Points of interest include an Anglican church, built in 1699 and restored in 1754; a 19th-century Gothic-style cathedral; and the Ursuline Convent (1697), which houses a museum of art and artifacts.
As hydroelectric power was developed on the rivers in the early part of the 20th century, the city urbanized rapidly. It was considered the world's capital for the manufacture of paper products around 1930. The city is named for the channels through which the Saint-Maurice enters the Saint Lawrence.
Population (1986) 50,122; (1996) 48,419